Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Meeting Shiny Wilson

Two weekends ago I took part in a sports meet organised by the Rotary Club at the YMCA Nandanam stadium. It was a good meet for me. Picked up a gold in the 400m, 100m and an off-beat 20 yard backward running event. I also got the individual championship which was nice. The competition wasnt that great but the highlight of the day was meeting Golden Girl Shiny Wilson.


Shiny Wilson along with P.T. Usha dominated the Indian athletic scene for almost 20 years breaking all sorts of records at the Asian level. In fact, she was apparently the first Indian woman to break the 2 minute barrier in the 800m. At a PB of 2.45 Im almost there - arent I?

Anyway, I managed to get her autograph in my training log and got a good comment from her about my running style. That has practically made my year.

I prepared for the event like a lout. First thing I did was I didnt prepare. Like all overconfident bozos, I thought I could just walk into the event and run it. To top it off, I went running with Shumit the previous evening on the road. Bad idea. And we did intervals for about 40 minutes.

The next morning at the meet - which started at an awkward 10 AM, my 400m died at 350m. My left leg started cramping. 10 minutes of physio and two gatorades with added salt releived the pain but left me somewhat hobbled. I hadnt had a good breakfast thinking I needed to stay light. But there was not much energy left after the 400.

Anyway I managed to crack the 100 which was a little later and the backwards race was just a fun thing. The guy who was coming first tripped and I ended up being first. So it was plain luck.

A few quick observations.

1. Never underestimate an event if you are planning on winning. A winning effort is usually your best effort and that needs a lot of preparation.

2. Dont do any thing on the day before an event that you plan to win. See No. 1 above.

3. Shiny Wilson has put on a lot of weight.

4. YMCA Nandanam is a very badly maintained track. And thats sad.


Thats it for now,

Until next time...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Shiny Wilson has a thing for you dude!!! Whaaats up !!!!

Anonymous said...

Shocking at what a fatty Shiny has become..she does not look in any way like an athlete..just another frumpy woman....a shame that she didn't at least stay in shape and motivate others.

Anonymous said...

Actually,good post. thx