Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Meet report!

Now that I have done my bit to popularise my blog, its time for another post!

I recently competed in the Inter Table Athletic meet on October 21st at Nehru Stadium. Its a meet that is held for members of Round Table India. Its a non-profit social welfare and fellowship organisation that I have been a member of for the last 10 years or so.

The competition is fierce, the athletes not so fierce. I basically use this as a good anchor to focus my training and allow me to get fit atleast once a year. The rest of the year I wallow.

This year's meet was very interesting for me. I competed in the 400m, 100m, 800m, 4x100m relay and 1500m. Did fairly well too with 4 golds and 1 silver (in the 1500). I was very happy because all the running was at a hard - balls to the wall - pace.

I barely managed to win the 100 - by a whisker. I think I won because of my lean at the finish line. But I was running really relaxed and also started late. I was having a chat with one of the race organisers when the gun went off. So I had to catch up a bit.

I hammered the 400, 800 and 4x100. Felt really good. I really felt the breeze in my face. Now I know what "wind assisted" means.

I ran the 1500 within 5 minutes of completing the last leg of the 4x100. So it was a little hard. But I think I could have done better. I ran too conservatively in the last 100 meters and kicked only with 50 m to go. I wasnt sure I would be able to hold out for a 100m kick. But after I finished I was kicking my self for not kicking earlier. Sorry for the gross pun.

In my next post I'll write a bit about speed training and why I think its important for endurance. Many of my friends in Chennai Runners think I am against long distance running and that running anything less than 5k is, whats the word?!, sissy?

So look out for a little about the red line training and weight training I've been doing to to improve my running in general.

No comments: